Careerfolio Limited (‘Careerfolio’, ‘We’ or ‘Us’) take data protection very seriously and are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. We are the data controller and Our place of business is 14 St James Place West, Plymouth, PL1 3AT.
This policy (together with Our Terms and Conditions and any other documents referred to in either document) explains how We collect, use and handle any personal information We collect from you when you use Our website at https://www.careerfolio.co.uk/ (our ‘Site’) and Our mobile app (our ‘App’), both of which together We call Our ‘Services’. Please read the following carefully to understand Our views and practices regarding your personal data and how We will treat it. By visiting the Site or the App or using Our Services you are accepting and consenting to the practices described in this policy.
COLLECTING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
Our Platform exists to help our members and users to advance their careers and develop their businesses, by providing opportunities for them to promote or identify relevant resources for career and business development. Accordingly, we may collect and process the following data about you:
Information you give us: You may give Us information about you or relating to you:
- if you register to become a user of Our Services;
- if you fill out a profile on Our Website or App;
- if you send Us a message through Our Services or correspond with Us by telephone, in writing or otherwise;
- as you visit web pages on Our Website or use Our App;
- if you subscribe to any of Our Services;
- participate in a discussion board or other social media functions on Our Services;
- if you enter a competition, promotion or survey;
- if you report a problem to us; and
- from any of your activities in connection with your use of Our Services.
Before you can access and use all of Our Service’s features and services, you must register to become a user of Our Services.
To register, We ask that you provide Us with certain personal information, which will generally include your name, address, phone number, email address, date of birth, academic record, profile picture and personal website (each to allow Us to customise your experience), a username and a password created by you. You may also elect to upload materials to your profile that include personal information. Please do not post or add personal data to your profile that you do not want to be publicly available.
Information We collect about you. With regard to each of your visits to Our Services, We may automatically collect the following information:
- technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, your ISP and/or mobile carrier, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform, your location (if you are accessing the Services from a mobile device (note that most mobile devices will allow you to prevent location data from being sent to us));
information about your visits, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URLs) to, through and from which you access Our Service (including date and time); products you viewed or searched for; page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), methods used to browse away from the page, and any phone number used to contact us.
Information We receive from other sources:
- Others may post, write about and tag (‘credit’) you, or link to your profile through the Services (known as ‘connection’).
- You and others may post content that includes information about you on Our Services.
- For identification purposes, if you create an account with Us using a third-party platform such as Facebook or Google’s Gmail’s log-in credentials, We may import your public profile image from these sites to use in profile on Careerfolio, but only if you have authorised these sites to provide this to Us.
- Customers and partners may provide data to us.
- We work closely with third parties (including, for example, business partners, sub-contractors in technical, payment and delivery services, advertising networks, analytics providers and search information providers) and may receive information about you from them. At present these services are provided by the following entities and / or their groups of companies:
- 123 Reg Ltd, UK
- Foundry Digital Ltd, UK
- Facebook, Inc. and Facebook Ireland Limited
- Google LLC, Google Ireland Ltd
- Heart Internet Ltd, UK
- LinkedIn, Inc.
- Stripe, Inc.
- Twitter, Inc.
HOW WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
The purpose for which We use and process your personal data (excluding sensitive personal data) and the lawful basis on which We carry out each type of processing is explained below.
|1. GENERAL USE OF SITE|
|To create, personalise, provide support and maintain your user account and profile for Our Services.||Legitimate interests|
|To send you information about your account, the facilities We or Our related companies provide or changes or upgrades that We make to those facilities.||Legitimate interests|
|To authenticate you and authorise access to Our Services.||Legitimate interests|
|To alert you via email of relevant opportunities and activities (including, but not limited to, resources, contributions, case studies, content and notifications (for example, if another user is connected to the category and skill area in which you create and publish content, a contribution, a case study or a resource on your profile)).||Legitimate interests|
|To allow you to stay in touch, in communication, up to date with, and aware of resource opportunities (including product-based, service-based, collaboration-based and job-based resources) involving contacts, collaborators and clients. To do so, you can find and ‘Connect’ with the relevant professionals you choose.||Legitimate interests|
|To suggest ‘connects’ or ‘tags’ for you and others.||Legitimate interests|
|To process the details of interested parties when expressing interest in a resource.||Legitimate interests|
|To operate a customer helpdesk service to respond to membership queries||Legitimate interests|
|To log certain security and privacy-related activities that occur on your account in line with our legal obligations||Legal Obligation|
|To circulate feedback via surveys to our members asking how we can improve Careerfolio’s Platform and activities||Consent|
|To send you emails about relevant resources, case studies, and contributions published on Careerfolio||Consent|
|2. PEOPLE & CONNECTIVITY|
|To allow you to seek out and be found for career and business opportunities.||Legitimate interests|
|To allow you to send and to receive messages from users of Careerfolio||Legitimate interests|
|To allow you to be invited by a company as a prospective employee or contributor to that company||Legitimate interests|
|To promote our members’ profiles, contributions and resources, such as promoting your resources or key contributions in your career on Careerfolio||Legitimate interests|
|To send you newsletters which you may elect to receive||Consent|
|To send you requests from a mutually-Connected contact in your network asking for general professional help or advice||Legitimate interests|
|To enable you to build and promote your company’s profile on Careerfolio||Legitimate interests|
|To enable invited employees or contributors to your company to identify the person(s) acting on behalf of the company||Legitimate interests|
|To allow potential clients or customers seeking to deal with your company to identify the person(s) acting on behalf of the company||Legitimate interests|
|4. RESOURCE PROMOTION & IDENTIFICATION|
|To process the details of your resource when creating, publishing or advertising the resource on Careerfolio||Legitimate interests|
|To provide an opportunity for you to promote relevant resources, and to connect with other users who may be interested in your resources. By promoting resources, your profile will be visible to users who might be interested in those resources on Careerfolio.||Legitimate interests|
|To send you updates on your resource submitted for promotion on Careerfolio. All resources promoted on Careerfolio must be reviewed for approval before they can appear on Careerfolio. By creating and submitting a resource for promotion on Careerfolio, you elect to receive email updates on the progress and outcome of the review of the resource.||Legitimate interests|
|To provide an opportunity for you to see relevant resources, and to connect with promoters of such resources on Careerfolio to enable you access those resources.||Legitimate interests|
|To allow you to invite new team members to be part of a group for a specific project or purpose, and to join Careerfolio||Legitimate interests|
|To allow you to be invited to join a new or an existing group on Careefolio for a specific project or purpose relevant to your interest||Legitimate interests|
|6. OTHER STAKEHOLDERS|
|To process potential applicant details for jobs with Careerfolio when applying for a role.||Legitimate interests|
We do not store credit card details. We monitor for and try to prevent security breaches.
ADVERTISING AND COOKIES
We use ‘cookies’ and similar technologies (e.g. web beacons, pixels, ad tags, and device identifiers) to identify information about your web browser session and personalisation data each time you visit and use Our Services. A ‘cookie’ is a small data file that will be stored by your web browser when you access Our Services. These cookies do not contain any of your personal information such as name or email, the information stored in the cookie will only identify you to Careerfolio. Cookies can be used to enhance your use of Our Services, as We use them to help personalise Our delivery of services, content and material to you, such as information which is most relevant to your profile and interests.
You can set up your browser so that it does not accept Our cookies. You can also manually delete Our cookies from your browser. However, you will not be able to login to Our Services without cookies being enabled on your browser. When browsing without logging in, some features may not behave as intended when cookies are not accepted.
HOW WE MAY SHARE YOUR INFORMATION
We use others to help provide Our Services (e.g. maintenance, analysis, audit, payments, fraud detection, marketing and development). They will have access to your information as reasonably necessary to perform these tasks on Our behalf and are obligated not to disclose or use it for other purposes.
We may also disclose your personal information:
- to analytics and search engine providers that assist Us in the improvement and optimisation of Our Services;
- to Our related companies;
- to Our professional advisors;
- to law enforcement authorities, if We suspect that an unlawful act is being committed or that such disclosure will prevent that unlawful act;
- to others as the result of a change in control or sale of Careerfolio Ltd; or
- as otherwise required or authorised by law.
If you express interest in any resource that is advertised via Our Services, We will provide your contact details to the person or company advertising that resource.
PERSONAL DATA PROCESSING OUTSIDE OF THE UK
The data that We collect from you may also involve transfer of your personal data to any country, including countries outside the UK, but that in those cases, except where the relevant country has been determined to ensure an adequate level of data protection by the UK and the European Commission. In those cases, your personal data may be processed by our staff operating outside the UK who work for us in countries determined to ensure an adequate level of data protection by the UK and the European Commission. Such staff may be engaged in, among others, the provision of support services or for other services required to enable us to deliver our service to you. By submitting your personal data, you agree to this transfer, storing or processing.
SECURITY OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We implement security safeguards designed to protect your data, such as HTTPS. We regularly monitor Our systems and Services for possible vulnerabilities and attacks. However, We cannot warrant the security of any information that you send us. There is no guarantee that data may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by breach of any of Our physical, technical, or managerial safeguards.
THIRD PARTY WEBSITES
YOUR ACCESS TO YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
You are entitled to know what personal information We hold about you. You are also entitled to update or correct your personal information. If you would like to contact Us in relation to your personal information, please do so by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. As of 25 May 2018, these rights will be replaced by their equivalents in the “GDPR” section immediately below.
YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE GENERAL DATA PROTECTION REGULATION (“GDPR”)
You shall have the right, in accordance with the GDPR, to obtain from Us the following:
- Right of confirmation
Confirmation as to whether or not personal data concerning you are being processed.
- Right of access
Free information about the personal data We store about you at any time and to receive a copy of it.
- Right to rectification
Rectification without undue delay of inaccurate personal data about you. It is important that the Personal Data we hold about you is accurate and current. Please keep us informed if your data changes during the period for which we hold it.
- Right to erasure (Right to be forgotten)
The erasure of personal data concerning you without undue delay, subject to Our legal rights and obligations to retain the same.
- Right of restriction of processing
Restriction of processing where:
- you contest the accuracy of the personal data, for a period while We verify its accuracy;
- the processing is unlawful and you oppose the erasure of your personal data and request that it be restricted instead;
- we no longer need your personal data for the purposes of the processing, but do require them for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims; and
- you do not agree with Our assessment that the processing is permitted for Our “legitimate interests”, for a period while verification is carried out as to whether those interests override your own interests.
- Right to data portability
You shall have the right to have the personal data concerning you, which was provided to us, in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format and to have it transmitted to another entity (to the extent that such data was processed by Us on the basis of consent or because it such processing was necessary for the performance of a contract).
Additionally, you will have the following rights:
- Right to object
- to object on grounds relating to your particular situation, at any time, to processing of personal data concerning you, which is based on Our legitimate interests. This also applies to profiling based on these provisions;
- to object to Our processing of personal data for direct marketing purposes. This applies to profiling to the extent that it is related to such direct marketing;
- Automated individual decision-making, including profiling
Not to be subject to a decision based solely on automated processing, including profiling, which produces legal effects concerning you, or similarly significantly affects you.
You may be able to exercise some of these rights directly through the functionality, such as withdrawing your consent to processing your Personal Data (where consent is our legal basis for processing your Personal Data). Should you wish to exercise any of your rights, please contact Us on email@example.com.
If you are not satisfied with the way a complaint that you make in relation to your Personal Data is handled by us, you may be able to refer your compliant to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) on 0303 123 1113 or at https://ico.co.uk.
PERSONAL INFORMATION RETENTION
The criteria We use for retaining different types of personal data, includes the following:
- General queries – when you make an enquiry or contact us by email or telephone, we will retain your information for as long as necessary to respond to your queries. After this period, We will not hold your personal data for longer than 1 year if We have not had any active subsequent contact with you.
- Membership data – which will generally include your name, address, phone number, email address, date of birth, academic record, profile picture and personal website, a username and a password created by you.
- Deactivated Account: We will retain your information for as long as your account is in a deactivated state, but your account will not be accessible from our website or App. If you wish to have your account permanently deleted. Please raise a request by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Account Deletion: We will remove all personal identifiable data belonging to you within 30 days of receiving your request to delete.
- Direct marketing – where we hold your personal data on our database for direct marketing purposes. We will retain your information for as long as we have your explicit consent.
Our Service does not address anyone under the age of 18 (‘Children’).
We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from anyone under the age of 18. If you are a parent or guardian and you are aware that your Children has provided us with Personal Data, please contact us. If We become aware that We have collected personal data from children without verification of parental consent, We will take steps to remove that information from our servers.