What is Careerfolio?
- Careerfolio is a career and business networking platform to identify the relevant people, companies/organisations, and groups for resource exchange, trading or sharing. It is a platform where companies and individuals who need specific resources at a particular point in time can be connected with either companies or individuals who have those resources available on offer.
- Whether you have specific resource/skillset needs for your career or business, or you have specific resources/skillsets available on offer for income, Careerfolio connects you to the appropriate target. All the information you need to start your career or business growth on Careerfolio can be found below
How do I create an account on Careerfolio?
- Step 1: Visit Careerfolio’s website and click on “create account”
- Step 3: Check your email. Careerfolio will send link to the email address you provided. Click this link to activate your account.
- Step 4: Start building your profile by indicating your job or career title, location, your sector of operation, skill areas where you can contribute to the growth of others and skills/areas where you’ll need support from others to grow.
- Step 5: Consolidate your profile building process by creating content for “About me”, “Certification & Qualifications,” and “Skills & Experience”. You can also build content for your aspirations
How do I build a credible and marketable profile on Careerfolio after creating an account?
- About me: Use the “About me” section to provide a comprehensive information about yourself by giving a detailed profile of your profession, vocation, passion, and mission. Here, it will be useful to give details of where you’ve been, what you did, and the impact it made for people or companies/organisations.
- Certifications and qualifications: Provide a chronology of all the qualifications and certifications for the training you received. These can include academic, professional, vocational, career, and personal training.
- Skills and experience: Provide the details of the skills you have mastered in your professional and non-professional careers. Then, provide a chronology of your working experience. These include both professional and non-professional working experience.
- Aspirations: Provide details of your aspirations by highlighting where you want to take your profession, vocation, passion, and/or mission. This will enable people and companies visiting your profile to find compatibilities between your aspirations and their own aspirations.
- Contributions: Build your contributions profile with the “Create contribution” button by highlighting the things that detail your track record of significant impact made in your career. The contributions section is a personal blog for you to build a portfolio of content that give credence to your capabilities, competencies and expertise. You can also use the contribution section to highlight and detail your ideas, concepts, methods and creative stuff that may be relevant to people and companies/organisations.
How do I benefit from Careerfolio after creating an account and building a profile?
The key benefits on Careerfolio after creating an account and building a profile include the opportunity to connect to people and companies in your field or area of business with relevant resources and opportunities to advance your career or grow your business. Additionally, you can create or join a group to solve a problem, showcase your talent, champion an idea you believe in, or promote your interests and aspirations. You can also promote your skills and resources for organisations and people who need your services to identify and contact you.
Who is an ideal user of Careerfolio?
Careerfolio is, essentially, the platform for the self-employed or those who seek to be self-employed. If you’re a freelancer, a side-hustler, a solopreneur, a digipreneur or a squiggly careerist, Careerfolio is the platform to showcase and sell your skills, resources, or services. Careerfolio enables you to build a portfolio career by selling your skills based on your profession, vocation, passion, and mission.
How much does it cost to identify and connect to the relevant people, companies, groups and resources on Careerfolio?
It cost nothing to search for, identify or connect to the relevant people, companies, groups or resources on Careerfolio.
How can I identify relevant people, companies, groups and resources on Careerfolio for my career or business?
You can identify the relevant people, companies, groups and resources on Careerfolio for your career or business by actively searching with the appropriate pages on Careerfolio. Alternatively, as an individual user, you can identify relevant people, companies, groups and resources on Careefolio through a passive means by outlining specific skill areas you seek support from others for growth on your profile page. Once you have outlined specific skill areas you seek support from others, anytime an individual or a company publishes any information in those skill areas, they will automatically appear on your page under contributions or resources.
How does my connection to people on Careerfolio differ from those on other social media or professional network platforms?
- Unlike other social media or professional network platforms where you automatically get updates when your connections make any post, the same cannot be said for Careerfolio. On Careerfolio, you get updates from your connections and those you’re not connected to in as much as they publish in skill areas you have outlined on your profile as areas where you can help others grow or need help from others to grow.
- However, Careerfolio offers you a distinctive opportunity to organise your connection to people in a way that helps you to optimise your relationships. Essentially, you can connect to people as an ally to defend a common career or business interest, a partner to pursue a common career or business goal, a follower to be updated on their contributions, a mentor to impart knowledge and expertise, or a mentee to learn from top performers in your field of work or business.
How do I create a corporate, business or institutional profile?
To create a corporate, business, or institutional profile account on Careerfolio, you need to create an individual account/profile first. Once your individual account profile has been verified and established, you can create a corporate, business, or institutional profile by clicking on the (+) tab on the right side of “Messages” to find a dropdown list of things you can create including a company profile. Click on company and follow the prompts to create a company profile.
Can I create more than one corporate, business or institutional profile?
Yes, you can create more than one corporate, business or institutional profile under one single user account. If you’re an online or digital entrepreneur, Careerfolio offers you the opportunity to promote multiple companies under a single user account.
Can I promote a resource under a corporate, business or institutional profile?
Yes, you can promote a resource under a corporate, business or institutional profile. However, the permission to promote a resource under a corporate, business or institutional profile is only given to the individual user who owns/manages the corporate, business or institutional profile on Careerfolio.
Can a company promote its products and services on Careerfolio?
In as much as a company’s product or service can serve as a resource that facilitate problem solution for people or companies, this product or service can be promoted on Careerfolio. Careerfolio is not a platform for trading in products and services per se, it is a platform for exchanging, trading, and sharing resources. Therefore, how the product or service solves a problem as a resource is what Careerfolio promotes.
How can a company’s product or service be promoted on Careerfolio as a resource that solves a problem for people?
A company can promote its product and/or service on Careerfolio as a resource that solves a problem for people if the product or service facilitates personal pursuit of: investments; professional, career and personal development; employability; specialised skills development; entrepreneurship; self-employment; freelance activities; home and personal care; restoration of personal valuables; social causes; and entertainment and sporting activities.
How can a company’s product or service be promoted on Careerfolio as a resource that solves a problem for a business or company?
A company can promote its product and/or service on Careerfolio as a resource that solves a problem for a business or company if the product or service enables companies to address issues on: staffing, employment and intellectual capital management; corporate governance; investor relations; external stakeholder engagement; outsourcing; marketing and promotion; commerce or e-commerce; proprietary asset management; minimising operational costs; revenue/income growth; innovation and new product development; systems and process development.
What benefits does a company get for being listed on Careerfolio?
- Exposure to a large pool of resources internally and externally.
- Availability of on-demand resources with minimal cost of access
- Building relationship with remote workers and freelancers to ensure trust and quality of work
- Access to top skills and resources for specific functions without committing to a long term hire
- Your company can invite employees/contributors to work on specific tasks or projects.
How does a company demonstrate its areas of competence on Careerfolio?
Careerfolio enables companies to build a profile that includes “About company” and areas of business under “services”. In addition to these, Careerfolio enables your company to build a content of “Case studies” to showcase achievements and performance of specific tasks which can convince prospective companies and individuals interested in your area of business to contact your company for your services.
How do I create a “Case Study” for my company on Careerfolio?
- Step 1: Go to your company profile page and click on the (+) tab on the right corner of the profile page.
- Step 2: Under the dropdown of the (+) tab, click on Case study
- Step 3: Enter the title of this specific case study or achievement of your company
- Step 4: Create the content for this specific case by using text, images and/or videos to describe this case study. You can also add links to other platforms that show more information through videos, texts and images. Don’t forget to add a banner image.
- Step 5: Select an industry or sector in which the case study fits
- Step 6: Add tags to your case study to help people in these areas see your case study
Step 7: Click on “Add case study” to publish this on the company’s profile page and on Careerfolio
How does company connections on Careerfolio differ from those on other social media or professional network platforms?
Careerfolio enables companies to organise their connections according to a candidate for a potential role or job in the company, a customer of a resource or service of the company, a supplier of a resource or a service to the company, a promoter of the products, services or brand of the company, or a follower of the company.
What is considered to be a resource on Careerfolio?
Resource on Careerfolio include knowledge, competencies, capabilities, expertise, skillsets, or a technique that can solve a problem for an individual, an organisation or a business entity. Resources can also include ownership based assets such as patents, copyrights, trademarks or tradenames, and other properties, that can be used by businesses or organisations to unlock or enhance their earning capacity.
How can I can I share, exchange or trade my resources?
You can do so by first creating an individual user account, verifying your account, and building your profile. Once you have established your profile, there is a Resource tab under which you’ll be able to create and promote your resources. However, it is important to build a comprehensive profile first before creating and promoting a resource. This is so because prospects who may be interested in your resources may want to convince themselves based on your profile information before making a decision.
How do I create and promote a resource on Careerfolio?
- Step 1: Go to your individual user profile page and look for the (+) button on the upper right of the page near “My Messages”
- Step 2: Click on the (+) button to find a drop down list of things you can create and click on resource
- Step 3: Enter the title of this specific resource
- Step 4: Create the content for the resource by using text, images and/or videos to describe how this resource addresses specific issues for the targeted people or companies. You can also add links to other platforms that show more information through videos, texts and images.
- Step 5: Select an industry or sector in which the resource fits
- Step 6: Provide the advert information by indicating whether your resource is available on order, for booking, collaboration, or a job. Also, indicate the price of your resources in units or time. If the resource is free or the price is negotiable, you can indicate it as well. You can provide further information small description.
- Step 7: Upload a banner image and or a video to give a vivid description of your resource and how it works.
- Step 8: You can add a video link to other platforms such as YouTube or Vimeo. Add tags to your resources to help people and companies in these areas see your resource
- Step 9: Click on Continue
- Step 10: Select the main category of interest where you will want people and companies to see this resource. Then select the skill/area in this category where you will want the resource to be identified
- Step 11: If you are creating this resource for your company with a profile on Careerfolio, select this company
- Step 12: Click “Save” to publish this resource on Careerfolio’s resource market
- Step 13: Once you publish your resource, you will have to wait for the approval of your resource before the resource appears on Careerfolio’s resources page. This is done to ensure that all resources published on Careerfolio meet our Terms and Conditions. Careerfolio will update you by email when your resource goes under review and when it is approved or declined to be published.
In what ways can I share, exchange or trade my resources?
On Careerfolio, resource sharing, exchange or trading can occur in four distinct types or forms. First, your resource can be packaged and promoted as a product to be ordered by those who need the resources. In products, you can package your resource in books, CDs, downloadable documents, images, videos, and audios or through any other tangible and intangible unit that can be delivered. Second, you can package and promote your resource to those who need the resource as a bookable service on demand. This type enables you to work with your prospects as your clients who need your service based on the time you will be spending with them. Third, you can package and promote your resource to those who need it through a partnership-based interaction as collaborative resource on purpose. This enables you to work with your prospects as a consultant for a project or a provider of complementary resource to their own resource to fulfil a specific purpose with and for your prospects. Lastly, your resource can be packaged and promoted to those who need it to perform a job. This enables you to work with your prospects as an employee for a specific task, in a specific role, or to occupy a specific position.
How does Careerfolio enable me to find the resources that can be shared, exchanged or traded?
In creating an account, Careerfolio offers a 360 degree view of your personal circumstance that encompasses your profession, vocation, passion, mission and other things. These are captured into main categories and subcategories. For instance, in the main categories, you may find professional area, corporate and institutional interest, career and personal development interest, entrepreneurship interest, investment, specialised competence interest, entertainment interest, among others. Within each of those categories, you’ll find skill areas some of which you may have mastered and can package and promote a resource for your prospects.
How will users of Careerfolio find my resources?
There are two key means through which users of Careerfolio can find your resources. First is the passive means. When users are creating an account at Careerfolio, they have the opportunity to outline specific skill areas where they can offer support to others and skill areas where they seek support from others. In creating and promoting your resources, if you select a skill area where a user has outlined on their profile that they seek support from others, this user will automatically see your resource once it is published. The second means through users can find your resources is through an active search from the ‘resource market’ with the Resources tab on Careerfolio.
How will my prospects on Careerfolio be convinced that my resource is worth considering?
Once an account has been created on Careerfolio, you will be able to build a comprehensive profile of yourself by using the “About me”, “Qualifications & Certifications”, and “Skills & Experience” tabs. In addition to these, there is a “Contributions” tab that gives you the opportunity to create something like a personal blog to highlight your key practical achievements. In the contributions you can use text, images, links to videos, and documents to showcase your talents and achievements so that prospective visitors to your profile can make informed judgement about your skills, talents, and abilities.
How do I start sharing, exchanging or trading my resources?
You can start by using the “Create Resource” under the Resources tab on the profile page after you have created an account. Although you can start promoting your resource just after creating an account on Careerfolio, it is in your own interest to build your profile page first by adding more content that will enable those interested in your resource to be convinced about your capabilities as promoted in your resources.
How do I price my resources and skillsets on Careerfolio?
Pricing of your resources and skillsets on Careerfolio mainly depend on whether you’re promoting the resource as available: on order (e.g., product), for booking (e.g., client-based service on-demand service), for collaboration (e.g., joint-problem solving), or for a job (e.g., skills that can be employed for a job or task). Aside from these there three other factors that can affect the pricing of your resource on Careerfolio. First, your cost of sourcing, organising, and packaging the resources in a sharable, exchangeable, or tradable manner compared with the profit you seek to make from the resources can affect your pricing. Second, how much other people with similar resources like yours are selling on the market can also influence how you price your resources. Finally, the perceived value of your resource by the prospects who are interested in your resource as well as your negotiation skills can help you set a good price for your resources.
Does Careerfolio offer a payment service to pay for or receive payment for a resource?
Currently, Careerfolio does not offer any payment service for users to pay or receive payment for their resources. For now, the focus of Careerfolio is to help those who need resources to find those who have those resources on offer. Once the contact between the two has been established, payment can be organised privately on a different platform
How much does it cost to promote my resources on Careerfolio?
Careerfolio is currently offering a free service on resource promotion. Thus, for now, it costs nothing to promote a resource on Careerfolio.
Is selling my skills and resources at Careerfolio worth it instead of professional network platforms or online freelance marketplaces?
- If you’re a freelancer, Careerfolio offers you the opportunity to build relationship with your clients to facilitate repeat business. You can also prospect for new businesses instead of waiting for someone to post a job before you respond to it.
- If you’re a full-time employee, Careerfolio enables you to make extra income on the side by selling your skills or resources to prospective clients who need those skills or resources on casual basis or for specific projects.
- If you’re self-employed or a squiggly careerist, you can maximize returns on your skills by selling your skills to different prospects who need the skillsets on contractual, project, and on freelance basis with minimal lock-ins.
- If you’re a digipreneur/solopreneur, Careerfolio gives you greater flexibility and control to find appropriate leads to the targets where your products and services command the value they deserve.
Can I sell my resources and skills to international clients?
Careerfolio is a UK based company and it does not facilitate buying and selling of resources, it engages in matching resources on offer to those in need of the resources. If Careerfolio enables your resources to be identified by international prospects, how you sell your resources to them remains a private arrangement between you and the client. In such instances, Careerfolio’s responsibility ends at the point where a contact between you and the client has been established based on resources promoted or identified on Careerfolio’s platform.
How many ads can I post on Careerfolio?
There is no limit to the number of ads you can post on Careerfolio to promote your resources.
How long will my resource promotion ad be active on Careerfolio?
Resource promotion will be active for 30 days. After 30 days, you can reactivate it by using your resource credit to facilitate this.
Do I pay tax for selling my skills and resources through their promotion on Careerfolio?
Because Careerfolio does not currently run a payment service platform to facilitate payment for or receipt of payment for resources promoted on Careerfolio, we’re unable to advise whether you need to pay tax or not. However, if your promotion of resources on Careerfolio is as a result of running a business or a plan to start a business you’ll need to register with HMRC as self-employed for tax purposes if you haven’t yet done so. You have a trading allowance of £1,000 a year before you have to start paying income tax or your earnings. And if your business has an annual turnover of £85,000 or more, you’ll also need to register for and charge VAT.
How do I create a group on Careerfolio?
To create a group on Careerfolio, you need to create an individual account/profile first. Once your individual account profile has been verified and established, you can create a group by clicking on the (+) tab on the right side of “Messages” to find a dropdown list of things you can create including a group. Click on company and follow the prompts to create a public or private group.
What are the benefits of groups on Careerfolio?
Careerfolio offers four main unique benefits of belonging to a group. First you can create or join a group of people with different but complementary skillsets to deliver a solution to a company or a business. Second, you can create or join a group of people with the same skillsets to bid for a lower cost of a resource or training in your skill area. Third, you can create or join a group of people with the different skillsets to benefit from referrals. Finally, you can create or join a group of people with the same skillsets so you can learn from more experienced people or impart your knowledge to others.
Is every group on Careerfolio open to everyone?
No. Groups on Careerfolio can be public or private. If a group is private, you’ll need the approval of the group administrator before you’re allowed to join. Even if the group is a public one, you still need the approval of the group administrator to join.
What is the difference between a private and a public group on Careerfolio?
The difference is that the public group is open to everyone irrespective of their field of expertise (although request for membership must still be approved by the group administrator) whereas a private group may be restricted to members within a specific field of expertise.
Can I invite members to join my group on Careerfolio?
Yes. Once you have created group on Careerfolio, you, the administrator of the group, can always invite members to join the group.
Can I create more than one group on Careerfolio?
Yes, you can create as many groups as you want on Careerfolio to serve different interests.
What are the key things to watch out for on Careerfolio (potential challenges)?
Scamming. Careefolio strives to collect as much information and content on individuals and companies to help prospects to make an informed judgement about dealing with them. However, scamming is one key threat to using any online platform like Careerfolio. If you identify any person or company with a relevant resource, you’ll need to make sure that you’ve satisfied yourself sufficiently about the authenticity and credibility of these persons or companies before dealing with them on commercial basis.